Bulletproof

December 02, 2005

Right, so I can’t possibly write anything about a Dan Cederholm book without appearing to have a bias, so let me tell you right off the bat: yep, I think he’s a swell guy, and yep, I got a review copy of his latest book for free.

That being said, I’ve had Bulletproof Web Design sitting on my desk for a few months now, and I just can’t bring myself to stick it back in the bookshelf. It’s got a special something that most tech books don’t, namely cohesiveness.

The overall package feels like the perfect blending of its summary parts. From the book design to the illustration work, the paper texture to the book dimensions, it all adds up to something most books don’t offer: a great experience.

The content’s good too, as you might expect. “Bulletproofing” a web site means effectively blending liquid and fixed-width techniques, accounting for alternate browsing scenarios, and generally designing web sites in a web-like manner. You may not find anything new if you’ve been reading SimpleBits for any length of time, but having all these techniques in book form makes for easier explanation when speaking with clients and other designers.

Fred says:
December 02, 11h

I can’t agree more Dave. I find that I refer to that book, and his other one, almost weekly. I tell all the other developers at work about it and tell them it is “a must” reference. I don’t know Dan (wish I did), but I like his work and way of explaining it.

Oh, and not to leave out your book, which I purchased ASAP when it was out, is great as well. I helped get you on that “Customer’s Favorite” list. Keep up the good work.

Jim says:
December 02, 12h

I had placed a “hold” on this book through our local county library system and it took about 3 weeks to get a copy.

I read it over the weekend and place an order for it on Monday at my favorite online tech bookstore. It’s as good as Dave says.

Nick Toye says:
December 02, 15h

When’s the third book coming out? Dan has a way of explaining stuff that make you angry, angry that it was so simple and that you can’t understand how you never figured it out before.

Easy to read and incredibly inspiring.

I’m also lucky enough to have a limited edition copy with the missing page!

John says:
December 02, 16h

There must be fifty “page markers” stuck in my copy of “Bulletproof” - I don’t really need them, because when I look up something, I find an even better way of doing it because of Dave’s way of giving you choices. Out of the hundred or more web design books on my shelves, his is the one most often referred to first.
I also have “The Zen of CSS design” and it is much more “down to earth useful” than the title would imply. I thought I was going to have to assume the Lotus position to do my a:links, but not so. Very easy to understand and to follow. Thanks.

December 02, 19h

I thought the ‘bullet proof’ title was a good way of describing the book’s content. It really showed some great techniques and made a positive argument for ‘extra markup’…not excessive, but just the minimal amount without markup being too non-semantic.

December 04, 22h

I have been reading SimpleBits for a couple of years now, but somehow, it wasn’t until reading this post that I learned the meaning of “bulletproofing” in this context. With my newfound knowledge, this book will be a great recommendation for my colleagues in the future.

Heiko says:
December 04, 23h

I absolutly agree with you Dave. I bought Dan’s book 2 mounth ago and it gives you the possibility to explain CSS to other people on such an easy way. I do like the composition of an article. At first the text afterwards the XHTML and finally the CSS.

Weave says:
December 05, 06h

This was the first decent CSS book I found that focused on the truly important aspects of design without wasting too much time evangelizing or explaining basic how-to’s.

And yes, it’s wonderfully cohesive.

Brian G says:
December 05, 12h

It’s funny, at this very moment I have Web Standards Solutions open and Bulletproof Web Design sitting on the table. I’ve been trying to get my team to understand why Web Standards are so awesome, and it took showing them a stats table with 2 classes doing what a 3 level deep nested table used to do to get them to understand.

Ben says:
December 06, 10h

The thing about this book is that it’s so ‘pick-upable’. I bought it shortly after its launch, and yet it’s one of the select few books in my possession (and the only reference book, I might add) that have never made the trip from on the desk before me, up onto my bookshelf. I persuaded my boss at work to purchase the book, and it hasn’t yet been shelved there either.

You will have noticed that Bulletproof’s introductory paragraph reads: “…before you close the book and put it back up on the shelf…”.

Some hope! It’s destined to become one of my most-thumbed.

Lorens says:
December 09, 17h

Dan Cederholm not just a good coder, he is also a great author. All his books is written in such easy language, that I as newbie can easly understand all the aspectc of coding.

Mitch says:
December 15, 15h

This a great book. The explanations are very lucid and pracical. I would recommend this book for anyone that already has some experience with CSS and XHTML. For the beginner, I think a book with some explanation of the properties and selectors.

I did have one problem with the indestructible box. Adding more paragraphs to this breaks it. This example I feel needed to go one step further to cover this situation, as I think many people would use the box in this way.

Britney says:
December 19, 02h

Great book was the first CSS book I have read that I could totaly understand.Lorens is absolutly right Dan is much more than a great coder.